Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Viper

Dearest Boys,


Do you remember Viper?  I have a feeling that by the time you read this, she will be a pet you only remember from stories.  And that's understandable because she never quite developed a relationship with either of you.  That was her personality though so take no offense.

Grandma and I found her (and her sister) in our neighborhood one summer when I was home visiting from college.  I lived in a dorm so I couldn't have her and Grandma thought she only wanted 1 cat at that time so I called your dad and practically begged him to take care of her.  He told me that cats could be a lot of work but I was smitten.  The bond between us was short-lived though.  As soon as Viper went to live in an apartment full of guys, she became hooked on your dad.

We've worried about her often over the years and took her to the vet on more than one occasion thinking that her health was failing.  Each time we paid for tests and exams only to be told that her issues were purely psychological.  Her "moodiness" really flared up in the last few months but this time was different.  She started to skip meals and could no longer jump up to her usual places.  We knew what was happening but went around and around about how to handle it.

One day it clicked and we knew it was time to end her suffering.  We enjoyed a few more days with her and carefully explained the situation to the two of you one night at dinner.  That night was heart-wrenching as I heard crying long after your bedtime.  When I went upstairs I found you, Jackson, sobbing in your bed.  You said you were sad for Viper and you didn't want her to die.  We cried together for a bit and you finally fell asleep.

I met Dad after work one day and we took her to the vet together while you two were still at school.  The doctor knew our history so she understood our decision.  Upon examining Viper, she found a significant heart murmur.  Somehow, that eased our guilt as we realized that life truly would be better for her on the other side.

When we brought you home from school, we all wondered around in a zombie like state that evening.   The house was different and we all felt it.

I'm not sure if we'll ever get another cat but I know Daddy and I will never forget Viper.











No comments:

Post a Comment