Sunday, September 15, 2013

Ready, Set, Go!

Dearest Jackson,

On Friday, August 23rd, we took you to your new school for the very first time.  You got to walk to your classroom, find your locker, see your mailbox, and write your name at your place at the table.  Most importantly, you (WE) got to meet your teacher.  It was informal and brief, to say the least, but I think it was enough to set our minds at ease.  


For me, it was weird being on the other side!  Instead of just shaking Mrs. Green's hand, I wanted to pull her aside and spill my guts.  I wanted to tell her that you're outgoing but sensitive and that you're a whiz at counting and adding.  I wanted her to know that you still write the letter 'n' backwards sometimes and need help remembering to put a space between words.  I felt like I needed to explain what a loyal friend you can be and how you'll go with the crowd even when things turn silly and you know better.  I had a strong desire to ask her about the techniques she uses for easing anxiety as some things trigger fears deep inside you and question her as to how long she'll help you button your pants as you have a pair that's tricky and you'll walk around wide open all day instead of asking for help.  Luckily, for all involved, I simply smiled as I introduced myself and kept one arm around your shoulders the entire time as if to say, "This being is completely precious to me and I beg of you to love, comfort, and protect him with all your being."  


And, just like that, my baby was ready for Kindergarten and only two days were standing between you and the start of something special!

No comments:

Post a Comment