Thursday, June 23, 2011

Life Lesson #378294

Dearest Jackson,
During our prayers we always say, “Thank you for making me healthy and strong.”  Well, now we’ve added, “And thank you for keeping me safe.” because an angel of God certainly had their hand on you yesterday.  I wasn’t even sure if I wanted to blog about this but I am because 1) I want you to see how curious you were at three years old and 2) I want you to learn from this in case you have curious little boys of your own.    
So, yesterday afternoon you were watching tv on the couch and I wanted to distract you.  I grabbed the mailbox keys and asked if you wanted to come with me to get the mail.  You said you’d rather watch tv – and this wasn’t a battle worth fighting – so I simply picked up Colton and headed outside to the mailbox.  We were only gone for a minute or two but, as soon as we opened the front door, I heard you awkwardly crying.  I quickly made my way back to the tv room where you were on the same spot on the couch.  However, instead of watching tv, you were clutching your neck and your face was pale and your lips were blue.  Adrenaline surged through my body quickly as I scooped you up and tried to figure out what had happened.  When you removed your hands from around your neck, there was a puffy red line and you then informed me that you had put your neck through the window shade’s cords.  I consoled you as we held on ice-pack on your “boo boo” and talked about why we never ever mess with those cords! 


I then called your daddy and proceeded to sob to him on the phone as the emotions and scary thoughts all hit me at the same time.  The “What if…?” scenarios were just too much so your dad came home from work and we went to Home Depot where we bought new – safer – window treatments. 
Just like the time you touched the hot stove, today you’ve made sure to give me safety reminders.  “We don’t put our body parts in the cords.” you’ve lectured numerous times today.  Other than a burn mark around your neck, you seem fine but this is a lesson that will stick with me forever.  



1 comment:

  1. OH Tiffany! That is so super scary! I read a story very similar to this one in my Parents magazine and quickly looped up the cords. What is the fascination with things around necks? I must say, I would have taken the same trek to the mailbox. Glad everyone is physically ok. I will pray for your emotions.

    ReplyDelete