Saturday, December 31, 2011

Traditions

Dear Jackson and Colt,

I really like traditions and I'm not even sure why.  Even when your dad and I were dating, we would talk about the traditions that we'd like to do with our future family.  Living in one of the largest cities in the US, there is a ton of stuff I enjoy doing around the metroplex -- but these are a few at-home favorites for this time of year:

Holiday Stories -- wrap each book and put them in a special spot.  Then, have someone unwrap one book each night leading up to Christmas and read it together.  Thanks to some fabulous gift givers, we almost have enough books to read one every night from Thanksgiving through Christmas!!

Another tradition is putting up the "memory tree" together and sharing stories that go along with the ornaments as we hang them.  In my "forever home", I plan to have trees galore - 4, 5, or maybe even 6 trees - but, I think the tree that holds our memory ornaments will always be my favorite.  The ornaments are actually a tradition of their own.

Baking and decorating cookies for Santa is a fun activity to do each year!

Not pictured, but equally as fun is watching Christmas movies together.  You boys are still a little young to sit through full-length movies - but, when the day comes, we will totally be snuggling up with a few...Polar Express, Christmas Vacation, Elf, Home Alone, Miracle on 34th Street...


Checking the mail & displaying the cards!!!  I get seriously giddy when we get a stack of cards in the mail!  Someone recently told me that they pray for each family as they receive a card from them and I thought that was delightful -- might be a new spin to add to this tradition.

Another non-pictured tradition is Christmas Eve service at church.  Daddy and I liked to attend the last service of the evening at our "home church" back in Indiana.  They would dim the lights as we stood singing in candlelight and the energy in the sanctuary was moving every time.  For now, we take you boys to the Children's Service and candles are safely kept out of reach ; )


Last, but not least, is the tradition of giving you matching pajamas on Christmas Eve.  I think y'all look absolutely adorable as you run around like twins on Christmas day. 

I hope you remember these fun times fondly.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, love wrapping the Christmas books and opening them each night! Might have to steal that!

    ReplyDelete