Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Spring Break: Closing

Dearest Josh,

Friday was a day of finalization as we signed our name on paper after paper.  We each held a boy on our lap and they assisted us without having the slightest idea of what was going on.  And now this house belongs to its third owner and I pray that it brings him as much joy as it's brought us.


I've had this post swirling around in my head for years.  No, literally because it was 2 years ago that I thought that we’d be moving only to realize that God’s answer to our prayers was “Not now.”  But now the time is truly here and while I’m ready for this next chapter, I’m emotional as well.   With each piece of furniture we've hauled to storage, the house has become less our home and more of a shell.   It’s been a slow process but that’s enabled me to gradually detach myself after over 7 years of sleeping, eating, laughing and crying here.

This home represents an exciting adventure that started back in April of 2005 when we were flown to Dallas and given 1 week to find “the one.”  Do you remember being completely giddy with nervous energy when moving day came on June 25th?  What’s more romantic than arriving at our very first home before our furniture and therefore sleeping on the floor because the concept of being anywhere but 1163 Wake Forest Drive was unthinkable?!

In those first few weeks of “playing house”, we had so many moments together where we would just look at each other in awe and say, “This beautiful space belongs to us!”  Even though this place no longer feels like home, looking around still conjures up so many precious memories.

I look at the family room and see us cuddled together watching show after show.


I look at the kitchen and see fun nights of entertaining family and friends.


I look outside and see a playground for a hyper puppy.


I look at the front window and see myself pacing back and forth, cradling babies, singing David Crowder’s “He Loves Us” over and over and…


I look towards the closet and wonder how in the world we’re ending up with ANOTHER triangular waste of space!?!?!  ; )

(We barely use it -- much less take a picture of it!)

I look at the small guest bathroom and see splashing water and kids toys during fun bath times.


I look at one bedroom and see a nursery that welcomed two perfect miracles into our family.


I look at another bedroom and see tickle fights, robots, and bedtime prayers.


I look at our bedroom and see tiny alarm clocks running in while yelling, “Wake up Mommy & Daddy!”


I look at our bathroom and see pregnancy tests and a hilarious revelation after eating asparagus! 


I look at this picture and I see love.  I see newlyweds who were so unsure of this great big city just 7 years ago.  I see hard-working parents who want to give their children the best they can provide.  I see faithful servants who know that their blessings are too numerous to count.  And I see the house that we made home.  It was a good home, a perfect start for our dream. And although my mind is reeling with excitement for our new journey, my heart will hold on to the memories of our first dream forever.


Thank you for being the biggest part of this awesome adventure.

3 comments:

  1. Love this post! It actually made me cry! I think those pics are the first time I saw your bedroom! Lots of fun memories from that house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet post! I'm excited for your family and the new memories you are going to create in your new home! And of course, we'll be there for the swimming memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhm, great post! Made me cry a little... You are a good writer. I've never seen your house before... now I have, done. ;-)

    ReplyDelete