Thursday, April 21, 2011

3 Big Years

Dearest Jackson,

How is it that you’re already 3?  When you turned 2, I remember thinking, “Two is still little.  But 3, now that’s a big boy.”  And, yes, you are such a big boy now that you’re 3 but you are also still very much my baby.  It’s unfortunate that you won’t remember much from this age because I think you are extraordinary!  I want you to know all of the neat things you’re doing and saying at this age but I’d have to type for days to accomplish that.  Even narrowing it down to just the “big stuff” is an overwhelming task but I’ll give it a shot:
Three big deals:
1.  Becoming a brother – You have loved Colton from the moment you met him!  You are an amazing big brother and I’m already in awe of the relationship you two have.

2.  Potty training – In retrospect, this was an easy process with you.  It was like a switch flipped sometime in January, and you were just ready to go.  You had a few accidents (only 1 accident in the middle of the night!!! – WOW!) but caught on quickly.  You are now so potty trained, in fact, that you don’t even tell us you’re going.
3.  Your memory - We are amazed by you daily!  Just the other day you reminded us of the time we rode the train in our pajamas (which was over 4 months ago!).  You've learned SO much in the last year!  You can now count to 20 in English and to 10 in Spanish.  You can name about 8 different colors in English and almost that many in Spanish.  You can say the alphabet and know the sounds of a few letters.  We're now working on recognizing letters so that we can start writing them soon! 
Three favorite movies:
1.  Toy Story
2.  Toy Story 2
3.  Toy Story 3
These are really the only movies that have yet to hold your attention.  You ask for Buzz or Woody quite often and you will sit through almost the entire movie with eyes glued to the action!  I oblige you for selfish reasons as watching a movie usually includes cuddling with you on the couch!
Three favorite foods:
1.  Peanut Butter & Jelly
2.  Pizza
3.  Turkey Sausage
People claim that you’re just a normal kid, but I think you’re a picky eater.  You wrinkle your nose at almost any meal put in front of you.  Vegetables are a near impossibility unless I hide them in your food and you prefer dipping every food group in ketchup. 
Three favorite friends:
1.  Colton! – I literally cried the first time I heard, “Colton is my best friend.”  He is the first person you hug every morning and you literally knock him over with your kisses!  You two have giggle fits in the back seat that make my heart melt.  I pray that he stays atop this list forever!
2.  Ava – Not only is she in your class, but she’s also your teacher’s daughter.  After questioning you about your day, there are times it seems that it’s just the two of you there as everything is Ave this and Ava that.  You even shared a kiss!!  Oh, to be a fly on the wall at your daycare...with a camera!
3.  Brody & Kate – You ask about these two buddies at least once a week, “Are we going to Brody & Kate’s house?” or “We eat dinner with Brody & Kate?” and I think they’re the only reason you go to church.
Three favorite activities:
1.  Playing ball – any activity, any ball, any time! 
2.  Running errands – You ask us, “Are we going to the store?” anytime there’s a break in our schedule.
3.  Bath time – You would play in there for hours, if we’d let you.  Your preferred toys are the pirate boat and your Toy Story figures.

Three favorite books:
1. The Children's Song Book – This was a Christmas present to you this year and you now know almost every song in the book.  When allowed only 3 songs, you pick “Workin’ On The Railroad,” “All Around the Mulberry Bush,” and “Row, Row, Row Your Boat”
2.  Where the Wild Things Are – This was also a Christmas present and you’ve recently started asking for it  nightly!  And, honestly, I do not like this book.  I don’t like the illustrations or the writing style and I hope this book’s phase is almost over. 
3.  Bear on a Bike – I checked this book out from my school’s library and I’m SO glad I did!  You love this story and it has a pattern to it that’s so easy to follow that you now read the book to us!  You can read it cover to cover only asking for help with a few words (You aren’t actually “reading”, you’ve just memorized the story.) and your dad and I literally listen to you with tears in our eyes. 
Truly, Jackson, I could go on forever.  You are simply precious!  Now, that’s not to say that you don’t have your moments.  You definitely went through a phase when we brought Colton home that had you sitting in time outs numerous times throughout the day.  We see a bit of attitude sneak in when it’s time to get dressed in the morning as you object to almost every item in your closet.  Other than that, you’re pretty even tempered.
You are such a blessing to us and we hope we can make you half as proud of us as we are of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment